cultist goth fashion

Cultist Goth: The Sequel

April 01, 2015Saskia C.

Since I blogged about my personal aesthetic last year, 'cultist goth' seems to actually have become a thing. Unfortunately the interwebz have decided to combine two terms that should never have been brought in each other's vicinity and have named this style 'goth ninja'. Needless to say, I am not angry; I am merely disappointed. So very disappointed.
As an act of rebellion I have made a collage to exemplify my personal take on cultist goth, which still includes copious amounts of black layers and added hoods. Add some occult symbolism, and leave out the martial arts. Sprinkle generously with self-mockery.

H&M cardigan - Asos gloves - Punk Rave hooded scarf - Cthulhu Jewellery necklace - MISSKrisp dress - H&M jumper - Asos belt - Topshop maxi skirt - Killstar leggings - Asos satchel bag - Killstar ouija candle - Necronomicon - MAC black lipstick - Boohoo boots
The only way to keep me from summoning some Elder Gods to beam this trend and its terrible taste in names to another dimension is, obviously, a peace offering. Luckily there is an upside to mainstream fashion adopting your personal style: suddenly regular stores start to sell interesting pieces at afforadable prices. My local H&M has suddenly turned into cultist goth heaven. I am appeased... for now.

I am curious; what do you think of mainstream fashion making alternative styles popular? Do you love the amount of cool clothes in mainstream stores or hate that suddenly you can't tell goths and fashion victims apart?

You Might Also Like

13 comments

  1. I'm a fan of this style too but I'm still struggling a bit on ways to coordinate outfits.. I should really get out of the house and visit the local H&M I guess.

    but goth ninja... >< jeez that is truly terrible

    Lovely post. Thank you for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never heard of "Cultist Goth" before, but what you've shown here resembles what a lot of people are now identifying as Nu Goth, which used to look more like Pastel Goth but now looks like Boho Goth. The whole thing is just confusing. I haven't seen a whole lot of Goth clothing pieces in mainstream stores. What I have seen is a revival of vintage designs which are being incorporated *into* Gothic wardrobes, but are not necessarily Gothic in nature. If a girl who doesn't consider herself Goth goes out and purchases items like you've pictured (with the exception of the Killstar stuff) I don't see it as her using something Goth, instead it's a piece of 70's/80's/90's fashion that just so happens to be black. Layering, black chiffon, black lace, fish net, or most any of that stuff is not strictly Gothic, much of which predates the movement. So to answer your question, no I don't hate that alternative clothing has become mainstream because I really don't think alt fashion has become mainstream at all. :) What I do think is that we've been more exposed to people adopting alt styles on things like Lookbook and Pinterest, but I haven't seen anybody in my city looking "Cultist" Goth or alternative. They're all still hipsters here lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No worries, Cultist Goth doesn't actually exist, it's just a term I've coined to describe my personal style. :) I've kept an eye on Nu Goth since the beginning, reluctantly at first but I've grown to love it. I hadn't heard of Boho Goth yet, just looked it up and it does look interesting, so thanks for the tip! And yes, hipsters do seem to be an international thing :)

      Delete
  3. It bothers me that mainstream steals thing from the goth subculture but on the other hand, just like you, I take advantage of the bargains :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. actually both, i enjoy to be able to shop in town (and actually touch what i buy BEFORE i buy) but i hate hate hate to see all the people run around in clothes that they would usually look down on us for wearing (if that makes sense...)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm all for it. These aren't particularly "gothic" items--a black sweatshirt, a long black skirt, a LBD--but the right person wearing it will make it goth.

    ReplyDelete
  6. and no idea if youre interested but: liebster blog award for you <3 http://justkeepbrains.com/2015/04/03/liebster-award/

    ReplyDelete
  7. You've been nominated foor the liebster award! http://frillyfrenchie.blogspot.fr/2015/04/liebster-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. So so tempting! (Runs away crying)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your way of coining new terms to describe your aesthetic - really really well done.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great, I love it! Enjoy the weekend honey!

    Check my last post here!
    Follow each other? Let me know and I'll do the same:
    My blog | Bloglovin

    ♥‿♥

    ReplyDelete
  11. When the subculture hits a trendy moment I flounce between excited for all the pretty things I can buy & bothered with myself because I'll go up to someone to talk, completely assuming they're casual gothing it that day, when they absolutely aren't.

    ReplyDelete
  12. When the subculture hits a trendy moment I flounce between excited for all the pretty things I can buy & bothered with myself because I'll go up to someone to talk, completely assuming they're casual gothing it that day, when they absolutely aren't.

    ReplyDelete

Twitter

Follow by Email

Contact Form