I know I promised to post about the a hundred readers surprise in the next blog post, but I'm having some technical issues. Hopefully they'll be solved soon, because I really can't wait to blog about this.
Awaiting the surprise, here's something else that just might come in handy these days.
I don't know how everyone else is keeping but in Belgium it's starting to get really cold. I am a terribly chilly person and I'm cold almost all the time, so I thought it might be a good idea to share some tips and tricks to stay warm (and gothy) during winter.
I bet you know that feeling of getting out of bed, feeling the cold and being terribly tempted to put on your extremely warm, but unfortunately hideous hoodie. An alternative would be to wear a couple more layers than usual. I know it's kind of a cliché, but layers are definitely a life saver when it's cold. Blouses, (tank) tops, T-shirts, they're all layerable.
- Long skirts.
A miniskirt is not exactly your best option if you're planning on staying warm. Add warm tights and you've got a cold proof outfit.
- Still want to wear short skirts? If you can't resist, layer your tights. Two layers of thin ones can already make a difference. Or be creative and wear black tights with holes in them over bright coloured tights.
- If it's really too cold to wear skirts, wear some warm tights under your trousers. I do this all the time, no one notices it and it's really warm.
Winter is also the best time to dig up your stompy or victorian boots, or your pair of New Rocks or Doc. Martens. Try to avoid high heels when it's freezing, though. A decent pair of shoes will get you a long way. I admit, I've even worn moonboots on extremely cold and snowy days and gotten away with it!
- Find yourself some fancy headwear. I personally think earmuffs look kind of silly, but headphones will also keep your ears warm.
- Fingerless gloves are great, unfortunately they won't be of much use in winter. Find yourself a decent pair of striped or pretty coloured gloves, there's more choice in this than you might think.
- When you have short hair, this is not a very useful tip, but I personally keep my hair down most of the time. It really helps to keep my head, ears and neck warm. Of course, wearing scarves might be an even better plan.
- Wear primer! Eyes get cold and teary when it's cold; not the ideal conditions to wear make-up. Primer will keep your eyeshadow where it belongs.
- Last but not least: take care of yourself. You don't have to worry about not looking your best during winter. Everyone's walking around with red noses and silly hats; staying warm is more important than looking good.
Winter is also an excellent excuse to drink lots of tea, coffee and hot chocolate, so it's not all bad.
Labels: fashion, tips